Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

Hope today finds you in a Meg Ryan movie- flowers, candy and Louis Armstrong in the background. I don't have a Valentine's Day poem, or even a love poem, that I consider part of the children's collection, however, I do have a poem of love that I wrote for Atticus before I knew too much about him. Heck, I didn't even know if he was a him yet!

BALLAD FOR THE WAITING
There is not enough hate in the world
To blacken the love I feel for you.
And yet you have barely started
To love, to live.
And yet you have started.
I have loved you since before then
When you were just an idea
That I wasn’t even thinking.
I loved you from the start.
And have you loved yet?
Do you love now?
Does the hate of the world make you hide,
Or does the love of my hand
Moving in slow circles
Across the soft walls of your silence
Bring you outward with anxious smiles?
I think that even now you love
And know that even now you are loved
For there is a smile upon your mother’s lips
That comes from you
And when I kiss her goodnight
And whisper softly in the darkness that we share
That my love, is your lullaby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you must love your wife and son very much

Whit said...

Yes. Yes I do.